Wednesday, January 25, 2006

And Bush Means It...This Time

Bush, speaking of Osama:
"When he says he's going to hurt the American people again, or try to, he means it.”
And:
"I take it seriously, and the people of NSA take it seriously."

I just don’t understand how Bush’s BOO!!!! strategy is supposed to help him.  I guess it does, but I don’t understand how.  Shouldn’t this just be yet another reminder of something?  Namely, that he hasn’t yet caught Bin Laden?  And that we haven’t even damaged his network enough to stop him from being a serious threat?  I know they try to have it both ways, but I don’t understand how that works.  I mean, he’s had how long to catch Bin Laden, with the same illegal techniques that he’s insisting are so important now?  And we’re still supposed to be cowering in our crotches, too scared to think straight?  STILL!?!  Hell, he’s more likely to be tapping your phone than OBL’s, and we’re still supposed to faithfully back Dear Leader?  How does that work?

And shouldn’t this specific appeal of his remind us all of another time when Bin Laden was determined to hurt the American people?  A time when Bush did absolutely nothing?   When he vacationed, and nothing was done?  The whole thing reminds me of a “I know that…now” Lieutenant Drebin-type moment.  How is that not the first thing that occurs to everyone??

And then there’s the weird system whereby every utterance of Bin Laden is a big boost to Bush and a damning dash to Dems, and all because of…  I’m just drawing a blank.  Was it like this in WWII?  Did Hitler’s announcements benefit FDR?  Was Lincoln paraded around D.C. every time the South reminded folks that they were still separate?   It seems like this should all be bad for Bush, simply because Osama’s still out there to thumb his nose at Bush.  But somehow it never works like that.  Is this even a real occurrence, outside of the media’s cowering imaginations?  I just don’t see how.  Hell, it would seem that, were Bin Laden to be killed, Bush would get a temporary boost before eventually dropping a few more percentage points.  Like the only thing allowing Bush to continue as president is Bin Laden’s continuing life.  

I’m sorry to be letting you down like this.  I’m supposed to be the answerman, but I’ve been really running into a wall lately.  It’s probably just because I don’t have cable yet (thanks to my recent move) and haven’t caught The Daily Show or Colbert in several weeks.  That’s gotta be it.  But all I know is that I’m at a loss to explain anything lately.  My apologies.  If anyone else has an answer, I’d be glad to here it.

No comments: