Friday, September 21, 2007

The Mystery Speaks

People confuse me. Like the case of the guy who's suing God, to prove how easy it is to file absurd lawsuits. Well God has apparently responded...twice. Here's one of the responses:

"I created man and woman with free will and next to the promise of immortal life, free will is my greatest gift to you."

Admittedly, my official theological studies ended after I was confirmed as a Catholic almost twenty years ago, so I'm no expert on the issue. But how is this not blasphemy? Sure, it's possible that this really was the God responding...twice, but I kind of doubt it. I mean honestly, horrible wars committed in His name, the Holocaust, the ascendancy of Republicans and George Bush to the Whitehouse; and this is what finally gets him to speak up? A lawsuit? I know the legal system can really screw you over if you don't respond promptly to this stuff, but you'll have to forgive me for being a bit skeptical.

And Christians do this kind of thing all the time. A comedian gets in trouble for making a few jokes about Jesus, but Christians are allowed to tell us what God thinks and to speak on His behalf? Really? When you ask questions they can't begin to explain, you're told that He works in mysterious ways, which only proves His greatness and our own puniness. But these same people will tell you exactly what God's doing and what he wants us to do at the drop of a hat. And somehow...it always coincides exactly with what these people want, and often contradicts what other Christians say on God's behalf. As well as what equally fervent non-Christians say their god is telling them. Simply amazing.

Perhaps if we can convince the Democrats to haul Him before Congress we can get some real answers. I mean, if God's so afraid of an intentionally frivolous lawsuit in Nebraska, He must really be afraid of being held in contempt of Congress. But then again, with all the discussions Bush claims to have had with God, He'll probably just invoke Executive Privilege and pull a no-show. God may be powerful, but apparently nobody is more immune to oversight than a Republican president.

No comments: