Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Lacrosse?!??

Via the CSM:
Critics say that instead of opening up players' minds, Duke's atmosphere may actually fuel a sense of entitlement. Former students describe Duke as a "kind of Oz," where even after a hurricane, when nearby towns lie dark, the campus is lit and quickly cleared. And in this at-times magical place, the lacrosse team is at the social apex, say Mr. Johnson and others.

I really haven’t been too interested in the whole Duke-Lacrosse thing, seeing as how neither Bush, Cheney, or Rove have yet to be directly implicated in this…yet.  But being in the thick of tax season, I had too much work to do and had to find something else to do instead; so I read this story and found the above quote about Duke’s “Lacrosse culture”.  

Lacrosse??  The social apex of something??  Maybe I’ve just been spoiled living in football-dominant Texas, but I didn’t think anyone even cared about Lacrosse.  Heck, I’ve been to a few different universities, but I’m not sure if any of them had a Lacrosse team.  And if they did, they sure did a good job of hiding it.  It’s one of those sports that I knew existed, but didn’t think that anyone actually played.  Like Rugby, or mouthwash.  Sure, they show it on TV every now and again (I believe The Ocho had the men’s mouthwash championships on just last week), but I thought that was just a ruse used to scare people back to the real sports.  I’m not even sure how one plays Lacrosse, but it sounds pretty French, so I don’t think I’m going to be finding out either.

For the record, until now, I had believed that Duke University had been opening up players’ minds.  I am disillusioned, to say the least.

And for all those Lacrossers out there all ready to tell me how Lacrosse is really the best sport outside of Dodgeball, sorry, but I’m just not having it.  Rant all you want in the comments section; I’ll just ignore you anyway.

No comments: