Wednesday, June 17, 2009

No Greater Joy

In an article about a high school grad who was denied his diploma for blowing a kiss to his folks, I read this: 
For teens, there is no greater joy than graduating high school.
Really??  No greater joy than graduating??  Either my graduation ceremony was far less exciting than other ceremonies, or this is a bit of an overstatement.  I mean, I haven't taken a survey on the subject or anything, but I kind of think getting laid is probably a bit higher on the list for most teenagers; assuming things haven't changed since I was in school.  I suspect that getting super-drunk and screaming out of the sunroof of a limo on prom night is probably higher too; though I never got to do that one.

I myself have always found graduation ceremonies to be particularly boring; especially my own.  I thought those things were for the parents, so they had proof that their bum kid actually achieved something.  They even take pictures, to serve as proof that their money wasn't just thrown away.  I found no joy from any graduation ceremony I participated in and was always happiest once they were over.  Getting laid, on the other hand, that's always nice.

No comments: