Monday, January 25, 2010

What Zogby Asks

I randomly get emails to take Zogby's Interactive Poll and just got this question:
If the election for President of the United States were held today and the only candidates were Democrat Barack Obama and Republican Scott Brown, for whom would you vote?


My god, what in the hell is wrong with the media that anyone could possibly imagine this to be a legitimate question?  Had this been one of many similar questions positing different Republican opponents against Obama, this would have been silly.  But Brown was the only match-up they asked about, as if he's some magical Republican hero now that he won a special election against a lousy opponent.  Perspective really isn't the media's strong suit.

3 comments:

mahakal said...

I won't be surprised if Scott Brown is the Republican candidate in 2012. If I were betting, I'd give good odds.

Doctor Biobrain said...

I'd definitely take that bet and I'm NOT a betting man. There's just no way that Obama could possibly be that lucky.

Frankly, I have no idea who the Republicans might possibly send into the Obama buzzsaw, but I doubt we'll be lucky enough to get Brown, Palin, Jindal, Gingrich, or anyone else considered a contender for the dubious prize. I still think Romney is their best bet, even if he's an empty suit; but the base might still be too dumb to allow it. He's simply the least clownish Republican on the national stage.

I'm thinking it'll be a Bush-Clinton situation, where Clinton wasn't even considered a contender even the year before he won it (as a funny time capsule, SNL had a debate skit in 1991 in which all the bigtime Dems fight over who'll be stuck losing to Bush; and Clinton wasn't even mentioned.)

I don't know what brainfuck is possessing the political world at this time, but Obama is still polling over 50% while Republicans can't hit 30%. And unlike Clinton, it appears Obama still plans on doing something with his popularity beyond merely maintaining it. Dems piss themselves every time the tide shifts and it's really starting to get annoying. Brown won't even be an after-thought by the end of February.

mahakal said...

For sure it won't be Romney, he's a Massachusetts Republican but he's a Mormon.